This list contains information about Lynchburg's public and private (non-family) graveyards. They are listed in chronological order, based on the earliest known burial or datable gravemarker. The three largest cemeteries, usually most relevant to genealogists, are listed in green. Sources are available upon request.
Please contact Ted Delaney (ted@gravegarden.org) if you have any corrections or additions to this list, or any comments or suggestions.

Burial Ground Location & Contact Information Burial Dates Range Historical Racial Association* Notes
Old Anglican Churchyard Two-acre block, bounded by what is now Court, Clay, Tenth, and Eleventh Streets, in downtown Lynchburg ca.1760-ca.1806 unknown Established by a small Anglican Church in Campbell County, near Lynch's Ferry across the James River (now Lynchburg). One account from the 1880's describes human bones being unearthed when the foundation of a new home was dug on Court Street, on the site of the old graveyard.
South River Meeting House Graveyard (Quaker Churchyard) Fort Avenue, near intersection of Igloe Drive

Contact the Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church for more information:
5810 Fort Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24502
(434) 239-2548

Click here for a history of the meeting house and its graveyard (PDF format).
1790's-1880's white Originally affiliated with the Quaker Church (Society of Friends). Most burials were between the 1790s and 1850s.

City founder John Lynch was interred here in 1820.
Old City Cemetery (or Old Methodist Cemetery) 401 Taylor Street
Lynchburg, VA 24501
(434) 847-1465

Click here for the official cemetery website
1806-present black and
white
NO CONNECTION TO METHODIST CHURCH.
Most burials between 1806 and 1925.
Presbyterian Cemetery Grace Street, at intersection of Maple Street

Contact the Cemetery office for information about burials:
907 Bailey Street
Lynchburg, VA 24504
(434) 845-0551

Click here for the official cemetery website
1824-present white Established by Presbyterian Church, but no official religious affiliation today.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Churchyard St. Stephens Episcopal Church
Perrowville Road
Forest, VA 24551
(434) 525-5511
1840's(?)-present white  
Shiloh Methodist Churchyard Corner of Route 221 & Graves Mill Road

Shiloh United Methodist Church
RR 1, Box 211
Lynchburg, VA 24502
(434) 385-7016
1840's(?)-present white  
Tyreeanna Churchyard Tyreeanna Road
Lynchburg, VA (near border with Campbell County, "Jacksontown")
ca.1845-present white Tyreeanna United Methodist Church
Approx. 200 gravemarkers, but many more unmarked. No records exist. Common surnames: Falwell, Smith, Wood, Viar, Powell, Brooks, and Dunford.
Spring Hill Cemetery 3000 Fort Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24501
(434) 846-0801
1855-present white Lynchburg's first "rural cemetery", modeled after Mount Auburn Cemetery in Boston, Mass., and Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia. Designed by famous landscape architect, John Notman, who designed Hollywood Cemetery (Richmond), Laurel Hill Cemetery (Philadelphia), and Spring Grove Cemetery (Cincinnati). No church affiliation.
St. Francis Xavier Catholic Cemetery Bedford Avenue

For burial records, contact Holy Cross Catholic Church
710 Clay Street
Lynchburg, VA 24504
(434) 846-5245
1875-present white First and only Catholic cemetery in Lynchburg.
Rivermont Cemetery Private (unmarked) drive off Norfolk Avenue, beside Randolph College athletic fields 1880's-present black Associated with Rivermont Baptist Church (Daniel's Hill/Rivermont neighborhoods)
Trinity Episcopal Churchyard Corner Coffee Road & Walnut Hollow Road

Trinity Episcopal Church
104 Walnut Hollow Road
Lynchburg, VA 24503
(434) 384-2257
1880's-present white About 250 gravemarkers. Common surnames: Rucker, Oglesby, Meriwether, and Steptoe.
White Rock Cemetery Blair & Luck Streets
White Rock Hill
(Enter from Harvey Street)
1882-present black Founded by Jackson Street Methodist Church, although later burials were from various churches. First independent African-American cemetery in Lynchburg. First burial was William Kent on 12 March 1882. Very few burials after 1975.
Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Churchyard 5810 Fort Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24502
(434) 239-2548

Click here for the church's website.
1892-present white Most people buried here are Presbyterian church members, but it is not a requirement.
Mount Zion Baptist Churchyard 5912 Igloe Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24502
(434) 237-0858
1894-present black Approximately 125 gravemarkers. The graveyard may have opened as early as 1867, when the church was founded.
Chambersville Cemetery Chambersville Street
Reusens

Wingfield Baptist Church
320 Chambersville Street
Lynchburg, VA 24503
(434) 384-2370
ca.1900-present black The graveyard may have opened as early as 1887, when the church was organized. The oldest identifiable burial was in 1917.

Contact the church or Ted Delaney (ted@gravegarden.org) for records.
Clarkstown Cemetery Near the intersection of Wiggington Road and Davis Cup Road 1900's-present black No church affiliation. Adjacent to Lynchburg Baptist Cemetery.
Holcomb Rock Baptist Churchyard Holcomb Rock Baptist Church
Boonesboro Road
Lynchburg, VA 24503
(434) 384-7400
1903-present black  
Lynchburg Baptist Cemetery Near intersection of Wiggington Road and Davis Cup Road 1925-present black Organized by a coalition of local Baptist churches: Diamond Hill, Eighth Street, White Rock, Mount Carmel, Rivermont, Fifth Street, Dearington, Peaceful Baptist, & South Lynchburg. Adjacent to Clarkstown Cemetery.
Lynchburg Union Cemetery Smyth Street
Dearington
1925-1960's black No church affiliation. Very small and short-lived cemetery.
Fort Hill Memorial Park 5196 Fort Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24502
(434) 239-6951
1926-present white Lynchburg's first "memorial park"-style cemetery. No church affiliation.
Forest Hill Burial Park Lakeside Drive, near Wyndale Drive 1937-present black No church affiliation.
* Please note: these racial distinctions may not necessarily apply for cemeteries still in use today. They are only meant as a guide to help genealogists focus their historical research.





© 2000–2011 by Southern Memorial Association



Return to Homepage