The entrance to Old City Cemetery is located at the corner of Fourth and Taylor Streets in downtown Lynchburg. For GPS directions, use “401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg, Virginia, 24501” or this link: https://goo.gl/maps/cYXC7wZA7UB2. If you get lost, please call the Cemetery Center at (434) 847–1465.
The Cemetery grounds are open to the public every day of the year, dawn to dusk, free of charge. Unless ice, snow, or other weather-related conditions make the driveway impassable, the Cemetery gates are always open between dawn and dusk.
The Cemetery Center, which houses the offices of the Cemetery and Southern Memorial Association, is open Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Sunday hours are 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., March through December. Just a reminder, Sundays in January and February, the office is closed. We always welcome visits by appointment on days when our office is closed, or before or after office hours.
The Mourning Museum (inside the Cemetery Center) is open for drop-in visits whenever the Cemetery Center is open (see above). Tours of the Mourning Museum are free of charge. The Pest House, Hearse House, Station House, and Chapel are open all day for self-guided exterior tours, using brochures and audio recordings. Interior tours of these four museums are available by appointment only, with the standard tour fee.
The Southern Memorial Association does not currently give guided tours of the Old City Cemetery on a regular, daily basis. Guided tours are by appointment only, and there is a charge; see our Guided Tours page for more information. Also, don’t forget to check the Calendar of Events for a listing of our exciting monthly programs and guided walking tours of the Cemetery.
The Cemetery offers more than a dozen “quick guide” brochures highlighting different aspects of the history and horticulture of the Cemetery for self-guided tours. Brochures are available, free of charge, at the Lynchburg Visitors Center, Cemetery Gatehouse (Fourth & Taylor Streets), Cemetery Center, and in brochure boxes throughout the Cemetery.