The Southern Memorial Association Board of Directors met on January 21, 2015, and, among other pieces of business, adopted a Strategic Plan to be carried out over the next three years. In order to continue to manage, preserve, and interpret the Old City Cemetery, staff and board will carry out business as usual, while giving extra attention to four priorities:
- Communication (both within the organization and with visitors and supporters)
- Celebrating the 150th birthday of the founding of SMA (1866-2016)
At this meeting we also gave a special thank you to two staff members. Kathy Wise, Administrative Assistant, is retiring at the end of February and Kaye Moomaw, Horticulture Coordinator, is leaving us to return full-time to her family business. We will miss them.
On behalf of the board and staff at Old City Cemetery I extend a grateful thank you to those reading this message. Each of you helps us in some special way and we are very appreciative. Without you we could not exist.
Thank you to…
- those who read this newsletter and share something from it with others;
- those who visit our website and “like” it;
- those who drive through the cemetery to see what is in bloom;
- the adults and children who come to sit on the swing under the pecan tree;
- all who attend one or more OCC events;
- those who visit to see the latest exhibit in the building we call Cemetery Center;
- all who roam our grounds looking for the perfect spot to photograph or paint;
- those who bring individuals who are visiting our area;
- those who drop money into our donation boxes and who support us through our annual campaign;
- those many individuals who volunteer to help us carry out our responsibilities so that all others can visit and enjoy this unique historic site.
—Nancy Young, Board President