The very cloudy Lexan windows of the Station House Museum’s Baggage Room were replaced last month thanks in part to a very generous gift from the McLeRoy family of Texas, in memory of Parks Snead, Jr.
Parks was an architect and active volunteer who contributed to this and many other Cemetery projects. He personally designed and oversaw the fabrication of the custom steel frames for the Baggage Room windows. The donors—Sherrie Snead McLeRoy and Bill McLeRoy—are Parks’s niece and nephew-in-law and former residents of Amherst County.
The Lynchburg Department of Public Works also helped to complete the window replacements and extensive glass cleaning of the museum. The ability to see inside the museum doors and windows has been dramatically transformed. Please stop by to enjoy the view.
The Station House Museum was built in 1898 by the C&O Railway. It was originally located in Amherst County and in used there by C&O until 1937. In 1999–2001 the Southern Memorial Association dismantled the abandoned building and reconstructed it at the Cemetery to interpret local railroad history.